Friday, December 16, 2011

blog name...

"Teach us to number our days, that we may get a heart of wisdom"  ( Ps 90:12)  


     I have heard my father comment on this psalm and he has made the astute observation that we should only count to one when it comes to numbering our days.  I like that.  So I named the blog numbering the days. One of the times I heard my father speak about numbering our days is in regards to the brevity of life, something that he knows keenly as twice he has had the tragedy of  grieving the death of his wife.  Both my mother Audrey in 1973, and then 17 years later my stepmother Ruth passed away suddenly.  Both were deaths with no warning, both women started out that morning with their usual busy active life, both days ended with people gathering together to grieve.   Life is short. We do not know the number of our days. It is good to be reminded of that.  Count to one.
     I also realize that my story is unusual, most of us will most likely live to reach a ripe old age (though I have found that number changes).  The reality is that the one who lives most ready to die at any time is the one who lives the best. The one who understands that they at any time could be called to give an account of their life is more likely to embrace their need of a Savior whether they are 8 or 80. Ignore death and we ignore our need of a Savior.  The provision of Jesus as our advocate and as the one who bore the punishment of our sin becomes dear to the one who lives with the reality of their own impending death and their own failure to live up to the standard we were designed to live up to.  
     "That we may get a heart of wisdom"   the second part of the verse says.  Jesus is the word of God made flesh.  He is wisdom in a sweater.  He is for us. He is our answer when we stand before the One on the day of reckoning.  He calls us to follow Him, to worship Him in the manger as he makes His way to the cross. 

1 comment: