Thursday, June 6, 2013

Singing, Mr Rogers, and God

         

  I know that some of you will think this is crazy talk- but humor me.  Our family recently took home a few of the old hymn books that Bethel is giving away and have used them a few times at our home to sing some songs after supper for our family devotions.  No piano, or guitar, or even an autoharp, just our voices singing the great songs of the faith.  I took the opportunity to tell my family story about the song “Great is thy Faithfulness” which they had not heard before (my step mom  Ruth made a recording with that song on it and was played at her funeral 23years ago).  I think they will think about that song differently now.

            Now we are not great singers (I tend to change keys randomly)  so we are not putting together a van and going on tour.  But I think God is pleased with our singing. He does tell us to sing over 100 times in the bible. God does. It’s a command.  But feel free not to.  Right?  His commands are optional. ( the last 3 sentences were sarcasm =)… )
            I know some of you don’t like to sing– someone, sometime, told you  that you sound like a seal- and you have clammed up.  Let God’s invitation to make a joyful noise free you from thinking it is some sort of chorale competition and let ‘er rip with the voice you have. God will smile-  and your soul needs to sing. 

A friend shared this remix of Mr Rogers talking about singing-  I don't agree with his man centered view of truth- but their are nuggets of truth in here. Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment